Young Patronesses of the Opera
The Young Patronesses of the Opera, Inc. is a non-profit organization of over 200 volunteer women whose mission is to cultivate, promote, foster, sponsor, educate and develop the understanding, taste, and love of opera in our community. Educating children has always been of paramount importance to the members of YPO. They offer programs focused primarily on children’s education, which build future opera lovers and supporters.
The members of YPO fulfill this mission in several ways such as:
– Our In-School Opera: For over 40 years, YPO has been bringing 30-minute children’s operas, where professional singers perform children’s opera to almost 20,000 elementary students in our local public, private and parochial schools. We perform at 35-40 schools each spring annually.
– “Opera Funtimes” educational books designed by our volunteer members that share the story of a famous opera through poetry, activities, games and more. They are given to schoolchildren for free.
– Teacher’s Workshops that annually train approximately 150 Miami-Dade County music teachers on how to broaden a child’s horizon by exposing them to opera in the classroom.
– Girl Scout Workshops for over 200 Girl Scouts in South Florida to help them earn an Opera Patch through lessons in dance, music, make-up and staging centered on one of the year’s performances.
– Our nationally recognized Voice Competition that assists young opera singers in the pursuit of their careers.
Julie Todaro is president.